Thursday, December 08, 2016

Thursday, December 8th

Woke up to:

Emily, 2 inches from my face, "Mommy!  This morning I'm an elk! (makes a shrill elk bugling sound)"

Ate:

Breakfast Burrittos for dinner.  Eggs, bell peppers, cheese, and sausage.  

For the past few years, family dinners here have not been the ritual I would love for them to be.  Understandable, given the fact that meals are basically the final scene of Jurassic Park around here:

Take that picture, times it by 2 (because twins...) and remember that the adorable little toddler in that picture is now a 3 year old who *actually* wants to be a dinosaur.

Which is why working through Dinner: A Love Story has been a gift from Heaven.  Jenny Rosentrach writes chapters specifically for young families, inviting you to give yourself a little grace, while inspiring and coaching the reader through how to actually enjoy family dinners. I find that I need to stop and celebrate successes of dinner time, instead of expecting the experience of dinner time to be the idyllic picture of wholesome family time that I'm sure it will become soon. (sarcasm / sad trombone sound effect / downcast eyes emoji).

Were breakfast burritos fancy? No.  Did everyone eat at least some component of them, all together, at the same time?  Yes.  I'm going to go ahead and list us at a solid level 3.

Read

You Are Special by Max Lucado (to Emily for bedtime.  But...also to myself.  For life)

Punchinello laughed, "Oh, me special? How can I be special? I can't walk fast. I can't jump. My paint is peeling. I make silly mistakes all the time and I am not a beautiful Wemmick like some of the others. How could I matter to you?" Eli looked at Punchinello and put his hands on those little wooden shoulders of his and spoke very slowly, "Because Punchinello... you are mine. That's why you matter to me."

Listened

Megyn Kelly's interview on Fresh Air.

I loved the balance between the two women.  In a politically polarized time, I found it quite refreshing to listen to a liberal host interview a conservative news anchor.  Megyn Kelly is strong, nuanced, and intelligent.  And, of course, Terry Gross is unparalleled in her skill as an interviewer.  Here was one of my favorite excperts:
(On how Trump's rhetoric represents a backlash to the notion of "PC culture")

There are a lot of people in our society who have had it with PC culture ... and I, Terry, am one of those people. I think we have gone too far into the PC culture, but there's a limit to how far we can take that. 

...My general sense is [Trump voters] feel they've been lectured to enough on how they're supposed to speak and how things that were very innocuous or innocent over the past several years were spun back to them ... and so when Trump came up as this PC-buster they said, "Yes! He's our champion." He was given a permission slip for everything he said and did because of that. The gradations of what was appropriate or not seemed to get completely lost. ...

But I would submit to you that Trump's history of comments on women go well beyond the line, if you look at them in their entirety, past the normal backlash to PC culture.


No comments: